Howard N. Gould
Real Estate Transactions
- Purchase and sale – commercial, retail, industrial, residential
- Easements and licenses
- Commercial leases for landlords and tenants
- Partnerships, limited liability companies and corporations for investment in real property
- Construction contracts
- Resolution of title problems
- Condominium association matters
Real Estate Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
- Specific performance
- Quiet title
- Partition actions
- Boundary line disputes
- Other neighbor vs. neighbor disputes: fences, trees, noise
- Slander of title
- Breach of contract
- Fraud in the sale of real estate
- Construction disputes
- Homeowner association disputes
- Mechanics liens and stop notices
- Commercial evictions
- Real estate brokerage commission disputes
- Commission arbitration between brokers
- Arbitrations in all forums
- Formation of limited liability companies, corporations and partnerships
- Maintenance and updating of corporate and LLC records
- Purchase and sale of business and limited liability company, corporate and partnership interests
- Offering circulars, private placement memoranda and related documents
- Confidentiality agreements, employment agreements and non-competition agreements
- Residential, commercial, retail and industrial real estate sales and experience: leases. Counseling real state agents and brokers. Litigation and arbitration in a broad range of real estate issues.
- Corporate, partnership and limited liability company formation, operation, transactions and disputes.
- Extensive real estate and general business litigation experience in federal and state courts over twenty-eight years.
- Member of California Association of Realtors referral panel counseling real estate agents and brokers regarding ethical obligations, standards of care and practice, due diligence, agent and broker relations, contractual interpretation and obligations, title issues and other matters.
Business, Probate and Trust Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
- Corporate, LLC and Partnership Disputes
- Probate and Trust Disputes
- Banking and loan disputes
- Disputes in the Purchase and Sale of Business
- Collections including attachments and writs of possession
- Trademark, copyright and patent litigation
- Counsel for Resolution Trust Corporation and its successor with FDIC
- Appellate, State and Federal Courts
Employment Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
- Defense for employers
- Prosecution for employees
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
Other Professional Experience
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association, Commercial Law and Construction Law panels, 1993- 2002. Primarily real estate sales and brokerage issues.
- Arbitrator and Mediator, National Arbitration Forum, 1999-2006.
- Private Arbitrator.
- Counsel, Infectious Disease Association of California, 1989-2000.
- Attorney "layperson" member of Bioethics Committee and Institutional Review Board at Daniel Freeman Marina Hospital, Marina Del Rey, California, 1988-1998.
Admitted to Practice
Nebraska, State and Federal Courts, 1977; California, State Courts and various Federal District Courts, 1978; U.S. Court of Appeals 8th and 9th Circuits; U.S. Supreme Court, 1987.
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., (J.D., 1977).
- Columbia College of Columbia University (A.B. Physics, 1973).
- Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri (1970-1971).
- Creighton University (1969-1970) (Physics class during senior year of high school).
- The State Bar of California and Nebraska State Bar.
- American Bar Association (Member, Litigation Section), Los Angeles County and Beverly Hills Bar Associations.
- Member, ABA Real Estate Section Subcommittee on Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Chairman, Executive Committee, Real Estate Section, Beverly Hills Bar Association.
- Lawyers Associated Worldwide, 1991-present.
Activities and Honors
- Managing Partner of Doland & Gould, LLP from 1979-2003.
- Assistant Editor, The Tax Lawyer, Georgetown University (1977).
- Presentations on Neighbor v. Neighbor Disputes, Beverly Hills and Pasadena Bar Associations, 2006-2007.
- Member of the Community Council for Pacific Palisades, CA 1994-1998 (Education Representative).
- Parent representative, Governing Council, Palisades Elementary Charter School, 1993-1996.
- Member, Coordinating Council, Palisades Complex Charter Schools, 1993-2003 (First Grade K through Grade 12 charter school in the United States).
- Co-chair 2000-2003. Member, Parent Community Advisory Council to LAUSD District D Superintendent 2000-2002.
- Member of Ed. Program Committee, Palisades Charter High School 2004-present.
- Member, Board of Managers, Palisades-Malibu YMCA. 1993-1999.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Columbia University Alumni Association of Southern California 1982-1996 and Vice-President (six years) and President (two years 1989-1991).
- Assistant Scoutmaster, Boys Scouts of America, Troop 23; Eagle Scout Advisor, West District County Council.
- AYSO and YMCA soccer coach and PPBA baseball assistant coach.
- California Real Estate Broker 1980
- Registered Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2003-present.